Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Don't you just hate it when 'new' clubs aren't at all..

Sooooooo, after avoiding the institution known as the 'alternative club' for a number of months now I rally the spirit to attend the opening night of a new venture into such, after all, its good to support such.

Ash Lounge..nice name, pretty poster, 'Gothic-Alternative-Eighties' it proclaimed. Ah, there was the first clue I should've noted...'Eighties' (what is the obsession about the 'Eighties'?? its dead, gone, move on, nothing to see here).

And that's all ya got , folks, all the old pot-boilers trundled out (to the delight of the punters, I despair), any request at anything remotely recent was met by the now regulatory dead stare of miscomprehension and the reply of "We've only old-school".....OK, OK there were two, count 'em, two Interpol tracks - albeit dated, but that was it!!

It's all bollox y'know, old-school!!!! *groan* I know I'm getting on a bit, but when most of these damnable 'classics' were released most of this lot were in nappies fercrisakes - and not a few barely a twinkle even, yet there they all are swaying around the floor to the obligatory bloody Sisters' track, Bela Lugosi's Dead hot on its putrefying tail.

Here, have a bloody clue, people go to Bullets From the Belfry , proof that life does exist beyond 19 bloody 89. (I've given up trying to influence club-goers to good new!!! stuff on the dance floor- the last time I attempted this I got a request for 'White Wedding' by Billy Joel...Billy Joel?!?!??!?!? WTF!!!!!!)

Oh, and the venue's hot and stuffy, the sound system poorly eq'd (or was that the dodgy mp3's?). It has potential though, the owner seemed keen enough - though that might've been because the crowd was probably a tad preferable to the crusty metal oiks that attended previous ventures there....

All in all, I'll be staying home a while for a while..the beer's cold and the music's always brill!!

1 comment:

Evyl Shnukums said...

*lol*
I thoroughly enjoyed the review, although I will probably go check out the venue regardless

I do love old goth, even though I was probably in nappies when some of it was released :D